Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Lemon Lime Sorbet Margaritas

When I was a teenager, a margarita was a slushy, saccharine mess shlorpped together with some shitty rum/tequila blend.  They got the job done(if that job entails projectile vomiting into a bathtub), but as far as flavor and composition are concerned, they didn't quite hit the mark.

I had my first good margarita in Las Vegas, in a strange upscale Mexican restaurant situated at the bottom of a seemingly vacant building.   There was a valet for the tiny parking lot and a d.j. was obliterating our eardrums with some terrible bass as we destroyed some pretty incredible shrimp tamales.  The drink itself was simple, but perfect.  It was heavy on lime, light on sweet with the grassy tequila making a star appearance.  It was served on the rocks in a simple glass, not blended to death and thrown into a plastic vase and the large grained salt that rimmed the glass was to enhance, not overpower, the flavor.

Don't get me wrong, slushy margaritas have their place too.  That place is at the bottom of a garbage can, barfed up by a sloppy coed at a beach themed party.
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO


Someone at work left the tiny lowboy freezer door open the other night and all the ice cream and sorbets melted.  I feel inclined to say that it definitely wasn't me, although I scored some sweet sorbet base to spin in my ice cream maker at home.

Needless to say, I couldn't wait to make myself a fancy boozy drink with this sweet sweet prize.  I made some pretty kickass leftovers salad, spun the sorbet and left it to freeze while Cody and I went on a trip to Trader Joe's to fill our kitchen with snacks.

Mothafuckin liquid gold
Baby Romaine with creamy caper dressing, spicy mustard, dried cherries, ground beef, sharp cheddar and pickled onions.

I had him stop at an ultra sketchy liquor store in the Hollywood area, where I was followed around by a lurky denim Dan until I made my selection: 100% agave Olmeca Altos for under twenty bucks.
My coworker Francisco can attest to the fact that my Spanish is god awful.  The other day, I tried to hand him some pudding, just pointing at the container and asking "Leche?" over and over again.  I do however know that the writing on this bottle's direct translation is "Nectar of the Gods."
When we got home, I salt and sugared the rim of a glass, muddled some orange zest with some lime juice, made some fancy quenelles with my sorbet and topped it off with the tequila.
Pre-tequila



Awwwwww yeah

To really get in the party mood, I took of my pants and watched The Office on Netflix until four a.m.  So that you can recreate this exciting experience in your own home(not me pantless, the margarita) here's a recipe for Lemon Lime Sorbet.

Lemon Lime Sorbet

1 1/4 cup sugar
1 tsbp zest(lemon and lime)
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups of water
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp tequila(It helps create a smooth sorbet, you can use vodka too)

1. Mix all the ingredients together until the sugar is dissolved.  A food processor is the fastest way to do this.

2. Refrigerate until cold

3. Churn in ice cream maker until soft serve.

4. Put in container and freeze until firm.

5. Get crunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment