Pineapples just might be my favorite fruit. They are delicious, take 2.5 years to bear fruit and make your nether bits more...inviting. Did you know they're technically a berry? Shit is cray. When you're done eating them, you can slice off the top and set it in a small pool of water until it roots and grow your own pineapple.
Pineapples are beautifully versatile. They can be used to tenderize and marinate pork for pastor tacos, juiced, eaten raw, carmelized in butter and sugar for cake and my personal favorite, pineapple jam.
A couple of years ago, Cody and I went on a food trip to Las Vegas and ended up eating at Thomas Keller's Bouchon for breakfast. They served us flaky croissants with little pots of sweet whipped butter and pineapple jam.
How come this isn't more common? How come people are still eating disgusting jelly packets when delicious homemade jams with real fruit and real flavor take less than ten minutes to make?
Fuck that shit. Try this jam. Just trust me. Then you can make fancy pineapple jam and coconut butter sandwiches, use it in vinaigrettes or use it as your sweet component in sweet and sour sauce.
|I didn't intentionally carve this into a creepy baby face|
Throw the pectin in with the fruit in a large sauce pot, make sure you have enough room because when you add the sugar, it will usually bubble up quite a bit.
When it reaches a boil, add all your sugar, bring back up to a boil and allow to cook for a minute, or until it gels. You can test that by keeping a metal spoon in the freezer and dripping a little bit of the jam on it, if it solidifies, you are solid.
4.5 cups prepared pineapple(about 2 pineapples)
1 box pectic(I use Sure Jell)
5.5 cups sugar
1. Prepare canning jars as needed, soak lids in hot water, sanitize all equipment and start boiling water bath if using.
2. Mix prepared fruit with pectin in a large saucepot. Mash until juices are released and mixture comes to a boil.
3. Add all sugar at once. Skim foam if you like. Bring back up to a boil and boil for 1 minute.
4. Test for gelling by dripping mixture on cold spoon. If it's gelled enough, can that shit! Wipe off the rims, throw on the lids and boil them in your water bath(submerged by at least an inch) for five minute(ten minutes in high elevation).
5. Place jars on a cooling rack over night. Pretty soon you'll be hearing the magical pop of the lids sealing themselves.
6. Eat or give to friends and become everyone's favorite person.
|Sunflower for scale.|