Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Top Five Summer Wines

Before I went to culinary school, I thought that wine tasting was all bullshit and that there was just wine that I like and wine that I don't like.  The wine tasting classes opened up a whole world of flavors(and in some people's case, pretension) and now I feel more confident in my ability to poo poo the less refined.

I decided to make a list of my top five summer wines.  These ones are relatively cheap, refreshing and pair well with many different dishes.  I've even included tasting notes that will allow you to make all your friends wish they hadn't invited you to the potluck.

5. Moulan-a-Vent Joseph Droughin(2010, $14.69)

I'm starting out with a red even though I prefer whites for the summer, mostly because this wine is so versatile.  It has flavors of dried fruit, nut and mushroom and would pair well with even a lighter salad dish and would be perfect with some smokey barbecued meat.

4. Chablis Domaine Chardonnay(2011, $20)


This Chardonnay hails from Burgundy France.  It is citrusy, buttery and un-oaked which allows it more versatility when being paired with more cruciferous vegetables.  It also pairs well with chicken and fish.

3. Jean Louis Denois Pinot Noir Brut Rose(No vintage, $14.99)

Sparkling roses are the stylish thing this summer and for good reason.  This particular one is already a winner because of it's price, but the quality isn't a reflection of the cheapness.  It's a dry, delicate sparkler with notes of honey, berries and toast and would make a pretty killer mimosa with grapefruit juice.

2. Pic Pul de Pinet(2012, $9)

This particular wine has been one of my favorite for a few years now.  Its high minerality with citrus and spring flowers go well with fish, enhance the brininess of shellfish and cut through the fat on roast chicken.

1. Lois Grüner Veltliner(2012, $11.89)

Grüner Veltliners are becoming more trendy every day.  They used to be the wines that chefs drank behind the scenes, but are finally being noticed by the general public.  I love this particular one for its aromatic grassy, citrus and melon flavor and think it pairs incredibly well with difficult dishes such as salmon, artichokes and asparagus.

No comments:

Post a Comment