Thursday, July 17, 2014

French Toast

I was trying to write my blog this morning and also make myself some gluten free toast.
This stuff is a god send for us gluten free loooooosers
Seeing as I don't have a toaster, I just stick the bread in the oven, turn it on broil and hope for the best.
The result of my efforts.

After the second batch of burnt toast, this time setting off the fire alarm and filling the tiny apartment with huge clouds of stinky smoke, I gave up and let Cody make me some french toast while I finished my post.
It's the first time I've had french toast since I stopped eating wheat and although it was on gluten free bread, it was a special treat; drowned in crunchy peanut butter and real maple syrup.  Wash it all down with a cold glass of whole milk and you've reenacted my favorite childhood meal.

So here's a recipe for french toast.  You can use gluten free bread or a nice thick piece of Challah(Oh eggy breads, how I miss you!)


French Toast

Ingredients:

6 thick slices of bread
3 eggs, 1 egg yolk
1.5 cups of whole milk
1/4 cup of heavy cream(you can just use whole milk, but as this blog is called Fat Fatty and not Skinny Minny then just ramp up the lardiness.)
pinch of salt
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of brown sugar
1/8 tsp nutmeg
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
Whatever toppings you desire.  I like butter, peanut butter and maple syrup


Directions:

1.Preheat oven to 250 degrees, place your bread on a cooling rack and place in the oven until dry in the middle.  This helps it absorb the batter.

2. Whisk eggs, egg yolk, milk, cream, salt, cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg in a medium bowl.

3. Heat a saute pan on medium heat.  While your pan is warming, dip the first batch of bread in the batter(don't crowd the pan).

4. If you're doing it in two batches, throw a Tbsp and 1/2 of the butter into the pan and wait until the foaming subsides.

5. Place battered bread in pan and cook until golden brown on each side.  Place in the oven to keep warm as you fry the second batch, wiping out the pan in between the batches.

6. Plate it up and drown it in whatever sticky, sweet concoction you can think of!



No comments:

Post a Comment